Skip to main content

SAATCHI GALLERY... AKA Favourite Art Gallery EVER

 Visited: 03/01/15

The Saatchi Gallery up in Sloane Square ALWAYS has new, contemporary, fabulous pieces of Art (Art with a capital because it IS an important subject of society and life). This first photo is from a section of an oil on canvas painting done by the artist Fang Lijun, which is untitled done in 2010-2011, 360,250cm and so it really is a huuuuuge painting. The huge scale makes this painting extremely impressive especially since it is so detailed with all the jewels which are painted so realistically and so exquisitely. Not only does, the immensity, detailing and realistic quality of the style make this painting so magical, but equally the colours are fantastically palleted and so vibrant which resulted in having me standing and staring for a good 20 minutes just being hypnotised by the piece, unable to remove my eyes from it, guided around the huge canvas on a journey, craning my neck with goggling eyes. The whole effect was just so mesmerising, having myself completely absorbed by the magic.. rather incredible stuff.
This section of an oil painting here on the left of the shoes was done by artist Lisa Milroy,in 1990, and it is called 'shoes'. I just find it SO CUTE. She also did a really similar painting in this style but with tools. Her style is very recognisable because she paints rather realistically and is repetitive and usually uses objects... ok I'm generalising on two of her paintings that I have seen but whatever. In fact after just looking her up, she is an artist who paints still life, everyday objects placed in lines or in the form or layout of collections. Being a still life painter, she uses plain backgrounds to her objects and therefore manipulates and highlights negative and positive space within her work. I really like her way of working and the repetition of objects because visually, it is very intriguing and without getting all deep and meaningful, I think perhaps it is representative of how you can let life fall into the same pattern without really realising, either due to other people planning for you or just because life rolls on and leaves you stuck in a rut if you don't take action and intervene. This is an idea that has been a focal point in my mind very recently during my gap year. For me, lots of different, exciting and new experiences are important and when you have the time and opportunity in life, you have to really exploit it. Also another important thing is whatever you do end up doing, DO IT WELL. < life motto. 


I LOLed at this piece of Art. I LOVED it. Again, this is a very small   section of it but basically it was huge and a print of a classic and classy wall paper print...however this print was in fact made up of NOT so classic and classy words...For example: Fuckingstubborngcunt... yes I'm sure you can read the rest.. hmm I did chuckle and enjoy standing and reading this wall, it was an amusing 10 minutes of my life. It did in fact remind me of the 'fuck it' attitude which perhaps inspired it and I believe is something we all should really embrace in life.

This last photograph was from a little corner of an exhibition by Richard Woods, it was called 'Nature making'. In this very interesting little corner, there were wooden little chairs which were vibrantly and colourfully painted (acrylic painting on birch plywood)2014. On the walls this > was printed. It reminded me of Lino printing which I did a lot of during Art A level and reminded me of how beautiful lino prints can turn out.. I want to start lino printing again, it's so great. The texture within the print makes it really visually interesting and the black and white scheme makes it really impactful. This is black paper with white printing inks being printed on to it and so the black lines are where the lino has been cut away of the lino sheet- you see..very technical.


Anyway all in all, some really fun and exciting, contemporary stuff to be seeing at the Saatchi, and exhibitions change fairly frequently so defiantly worth a trip. Another thing I HAVE to recommend is the Saatchi cafe/ restaurant which is called 'Gallery Mess' right next to the gallery.  Such great food, a little pricey, but QUALITY. The superfood prawn salad is fabulous and so are the burgers...FIRM AND FRUITY! Be sure to check it out!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

INNER CITY OOZ, Jack & Archy Marshall

Visited: 24.09.14  'The brain is an industrial soundscape'-Archy Marshall I visited this gallery last September, it was displaying from the 5-27th and one of the COOLEST and most interesting exhibitions that I have seen. Jack and Archy Marshall aka Mistr Gone and King Krule displayed their exhibition here at the Display Gallery, the first of music, visual art and performances marking their arrival as a new, original and real voice in the world of contempo, topical and uber modern art. Mistr Gone is an artist from South East London who works with painting, illustration, drawing and photography. Within his work he tries to recapture and achieve the magic and fascination of a daily normal routine. His art is a continuous study of everyday life. He has created all the cover art for King Krule's albums who is a singer, producer and songwriter from South East London. Archy Marshall, SS/In the shower girl, spray paint on wood This exhibition was all about intersect

MUSEE PICASSO PARIS 15.11.14

'I don't believe in accidents. There are only encounters in history. There are no accidents.' 'I paint objects as I think them, not as I see them.' 'Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone.' 'Learn the rules like a pro, you you can break them like an artist.' 'If I paint a wild horse, you might not see the horse... but surely you will see the wildness.' PICASSO An artist's philosophy can start to be unraveled in the things that they say and what they regard as important. Visiting the Picasso Museum in Paris back last November, I came to realise the extraordinary amount of work that Picasso had created and churned out throughout his life and the array of very different styles throughout his course of painting and creation. Picasso, most known for his cubist period, was an artist not only of talent, but also of intelligence, being able to adapt his style and work, keeping up w